ÐÏࡱá>þÿ =?þÿÿÿ<ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿì¥Á%` ð¿ÇbjbjNàNà 4.,Š,ŠÇÿÿÿÿÿÿ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¸€ € € € $¤ ¸q¶Ä Ä Ä Ä Ä Ä Ä Ä ðòòòòòò$'h�„¤3 Ä Ä 3 3 ¤¤Ä Ä +���3 š¤Ä ¤Ä ð�3 ð��¤¤TÄ ¸ �âÔï7tÊ€ Í : ðA0q(,pT¤TœÄ „H ^�¦ Lò AÄ Ä Ä wÄ Ä Ä q3 3 3 3 ¸¸¸„< D¸¸¸< ¸¸¸¤¤¤¤¤¤ÿÿÿÿ DIVERSITY COMMITTEE MEETING 11/30/09 MEETING MINUTES Present: Kim Sorensen, Barbara Schultz, Bennie Moses, Brynne Morningstar, Jackie Grant, Karen Clay, Lynne Tilley (for Pat Arnson) Guest: Nancy Knowles Approval of Minutes—no objections to the minutes as sent out via e-mail. Election of Recorder—Karen will be the recorder. Diversity Requirement:  Nancy Knowles presented her first draft of a revised diversity requirement and asked for feedback. We also discussed the name of the requirement, and were in solid agreement with Nancy’s suggestion that we emulate OSU and call it “difference, power and discrimination”. Discussion: - On page 2, part D. Could it be clarified somewhere that courses should include ALL the learning objectives as listed, not ANY of the objectives. And could we call these “Learning Outcomes”, rather than “Learning Objectives”. - On page 3, part F. In the following sentence: “…faculty will submit their courses to the Diversity Committee for initial approval” suggestion to change the word “approval” to “screening”. - On page 3, part F. Suggestion to add a requirement that faculty and/or course instructors commit to engaging in regular communication amongst themselves in order to ensure that the language and approach to teaching diversity is consistent across multiple courses. This is to make it easier for students to recognize and grasp the common thread, particularly when diversity content is spread out across several different courses. - On page 3, part F. Proposals should also include the expected frequency of the course offerings, outlining how each program intends to make sure that sufficient required course are always available (we belive this is similar to how the UWR does things). - On page 3, part F. typo in bracketed section of third bullet point needs to be revised. - On page 3, Question 1, 2nd paragraph. Could this paragraph be reworded so it is less convoluted? (Brynne has some suggestions). - On page 4, part G, bullet point number 4. Consider removing the requirement that the Diversity Committee “communicate regarding availability of courses”. This seems like something that is beyond the scope and means of the diversity committee and should be up to advisors. How does the UWR do this and can the diversity committee do it the same way? - Name change – can we change the name of the requirement to “difference, power and discrimination” (DPD). And make the language throughout reflect this change? Actions: Committee members will send Nancy feedback by Tuesday Dec 1st. Nancy will provide a second draft. Kim will ask the committee for an e-mail vote on this draft. If the outcome of the vote is positive, then Kim will send the draft on to the Colleges of Ed and Business for approval, and Barbara will pass it to the College of Arts and Sciences for discussion and approval at their January meeting. Diversity Survey:  Brynne alerted the committee to the fact that the Lars Larson Northwest Show featured a diversity-related survey that she is working on for her senior project. The show presented the survey in a misleading fashion, and Brynne wanted to emphasize that this was HER work they were referring to, separate from the work of the committee, and that the survey was in the preliminary planning stages and has not yet been approved or sent out. (However, the committee is welcome to make use of the survey results if needed). Diversity Forum: Bennie outlined some ideas that are coming together for diversity forums, including having students who attended the Oregon Students of Color conference (24 from 91´«Ã½) present on what they learned. Action: Bennie will proceed with organizing these, first forum expected to occur in January. Orientation: Before talking with Angie Adams, Jackie Grant wanted to get an idea of the outcomes that we would expect from including diversity in the student orientation program. Discussion centered around the outcome of promoting an atmosphere of acceptance for different cultures, focusing on the social and emotional aspects, rather than the academic. Examples of impactful activities included an Oxfam banquet, viewing a controversial movie and debriefing in small groups, participating in workshops using skits to demonstrate diversity related concepts. Action: Jackie will talk with Angie Adams, committee members will help further with ideas or outcomes as needed. Budget Report: Bennie reported that we have $1,200 in our budget, the Index code is PRS032. Jessica Plattner has been approved to spend $200 for the Chiapas Media Project. . Campus Book Read Proposal: Discussion of a general plan to promote several books, each with a “champion” who feels passionate about the content of that book. Have faculty/staff/community members sign up to read one of these books over the summer, then have group book discussions in the fall, possible during faculty orientation. Suggestions: This could be tied in with Rosemary’s “The Power of Place” proposal; we could work with the public library to include the community; we could promote by giving participants some form of professional development credit; a good time for the book discussions might be just prior to the President’s Welcome back to campus reception in the fall; we should keep in mind longer term sustainability of the idea so it does not become a once-only event. Action: Committee members will start to promote the idea with their workmates and guage interest. Bennie will look into how to get professional development credit for the event. For the Good of the Order: Subsequent meetings will be scheduled on the 1st Wednesday of the month, at 3 pm, in Zabel Hall Room #222. The next meeting will therefore be Wednesday January 6th.  $%-4567OºÎÏÐãä   . 0 L M N O V e g l t u Ë w x y † ‡ J U r £ ô õ ÷ï÷ê÷åàÛ÷ÖÛÒÎÊÆÊ¾Òκ¶®Òζƶ©®¥Ò¡ÒÎ�¶™¶•‘�‘•…|hP¿>*°ä´³²¹´³³óþu°¨³ó±Ê¿>*°ä´³²¹´³³ó³¢°Õ³ó±Ê¿³ó´¡‡³óÕV<h6—hÐtO hN.m5�hí}éhÐtO5�hí}éh÷ hí}éhÎOÞ5�hÎOÞhIbþhw¶hËww hÎOÞ5� hËww5� h÷ 5� h¾"Ž5� hw¶5�hÎOÞhÐtO5�hÎOÞhÎOÞ5�-567ºÏÐ  O x y ‡ o 1 å éGÎ3ØÙstu‘÷÷òòðððëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëëðððgdí}égdËww$a$gdB1ÏÇýõ 1 4 � ¥ Î ä å ébdÎ3Ùßàáã #()Tb…rstu…ˆ¬Õ�‘’¡¤klms‚øðøðøðøðèÜèðèÔÌÔÈļÄȸĴĴȰ«¦žš–’‹‡‚~z~zr~hË}hµ{¢5�h•2¸hµ{¢ hµ{¢5�hÐtO hÙP³hÙP³hN¯h 9Îhé9ËhÙP³hÐtO5� hé9Ë5� hA‡5�hÙP³hA‡h÷ hw¶hw¶H*hw¶hí}éh÷ h÷ 5�h÷ hí}é5�hÕV<hÕV<CJH*aJhÕV<CJaJhLTCJaJhP¿CJaJ+‘lmÎÏÐvwx+,-IJÆÇúúúúøøøøøóóøøøøøøøgd{agdµ{¢‚ÍÏÐÜÝþ ¯¿ÈÉ  .Ntvwx…'+,-FIHIJQSµ¶ºÿLN~„ˆŠ�“üøóëçüãüßüßüÛüÓÛüßüÛãóÎÆÂøÂ㽸´Û´ÓÛ´°ÛÂãß㨣œ”œ�œ‹�‡hË} hÆõ5�hÆõhÆõhÆõH* hÆõhÆõ hË}5�hË}hÎOÞ5�hŠ{fhþÿÿÿþÿÿÿþÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿRoot Entryÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ ÀF`×ìï7tÊ@€Data ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ1Tableÿÿÿÿ #WordDocumentÿÿÿÿ4.SummaryInformation(ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ,DocumentSummaryInformation8ÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿ4CompObjÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿqÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿþÿ ÿÿÿÿ ÀFMicrosoft Office Word Document MSWordDocWord.Document.8ô9²q